A Tool for the Analysis and Discovery of Ottoman-Turkish Makam Music
Sertan Şentürk, Andrés Ferraro, Alastair Porter, Xavier Serra, "A Tool for The Analysis and Discovery of Ottoman-Turkish Makam Music", in Extended Abstracts for the Late Breaking Demo Session of the 16th International Society for Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR) Conference, Oct. 26th-30th 2015, Málaga (Spain).
Abstact: We present a web application for the analysis and discovery of Ottoman-Turkish makam music. The tool uses an audio-score alignment methodology developed for this music culture for the analysis. It stores the data to be analysed and also executes the analysis algorithms. In the visual interface, the extracted features and alignment results are shown in an audio player, rendering music score and audio representation synchronous to the playback. We plan to improve this prototype in the future mainly for musicological research and music education.
Demo Website: dunya.compmusic.upf.edu/makam
- Music Scores: SymbTr 
- Audio Recording: Compmusic Turkish-makam Audio Corpus 
- Metadata: MusicBrainz Dunya Turkish-makam collection
Block Diagram of the Audio-Score Alignment Methodology
- Data Storage, interface and algorithms: Dunya [4, 5]
- Some of the algorithms for use in the Dunya project (e.g audio predominant melody extraction ): pycompmusic
- SymbTr-txt to MusicXML converter (Note: MusicXML-scores are already available in the SymbTr collection)
- Score data extractor (including score structure analysis)
- MATLAB binaries of joint tonic identification/tempo estimation [2, 6], and section linking/note-level alignment [7, 8]
- Score informed predominant melody correction
- Hasan Sercan Atlı, Burak Uyar, Sertan Şentürk, Barış Bozkurt, and Xavier Serra. Audio feature extraction for exploring Turkish makam music. In 3rd International Conference on Audio Technologies for Music and Media, Ankara, Turkey, 2014.
- Andre Holzapfel, Umut Şimşekli, Sertan Şentürk, and Ali Taylan Cemgil. Section-level modeling of musical audio for linking performances to scores in Turkish makam music. In IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, pages 141–145, Brisbane, Australia, 2015.
- Kemal Karaosmanoğlu. A Turkish makam music symbolic database for music information retrieval: SymbTr. In Proceedings of 13th International Society for Music Information Retrieval Conference, pages 223–228, Porto, Portugal, 2012.
- Alastair Porter and Xavier Serra. An analysis and storage system for music research datasets. In 1st International Digital Libraries for Musicology Workshop, pages 1–3, London, United Kingdom, 2014.
- Alastair Porter, Mohamed Sordo, and Xavier Serra. Dunya: A system for browsing audio music collections exploiting cultural context. In 14th International Society for Music Information Retrieval Conference, pages 101–106, Curitiba, Brazil, 2013.
- Sertan Şentürk, Sankalp Gulati, and Xavier Serra. Score informed tonic identification for makam music of Turkey. In Proceedings of 14th International Society for Music Information Retrieval Conference, pages 175–180, Curitiba, Brazil, 2013.
- Sertan Şentürk, Sankalp Gulati, and Xavier Serra. Towards alignment of score and audio recordings of Ottoman-Turkish makam music. In Proceedings of 4th International Workshop on Folk Music Analysis, pages 57–60, Istanbul, Turkey, 2014.
- Sertan Şentürk, André Holzapfel, and Xavier Serra. Linking scores and audio recordings in makam music of Turkey. Journal of New Music Research, 43(1):34–52, 3 2014.
- Burak Uyar, Hasan Sercan Atlı, Sertan Şentürk, Barış¸ Bozkurt, and Xavier Serra. A corpus for computational research of Turkish makam music. In 1st International Digital Libraries for Musicology Workshop, pages 57–63, London, United Kingdom, 2014.